Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Portland- Day 2

With Meira being sick, Chanan and I ventured off with 9 kids for a jam packed day. The boys kicked off the day with a nice davening and learning program and a brief soccer game. From there we headed off to the end of the Oregon trail. Going into this we were concerned that this would not be something for kids. Debra and I were there two years ago and there was not much to do. Due to cut backs they got rid of the show which was from my recollection the only attraction. However, as Yoni pointed out, how can we be in Oregon without going to the Oregon trail. So off we went. It was surprisingly fun. When we got to the welcome center, we decided to have lunch. I went in and warned the staff what they were in for with our group. They were great! They had activities all ready for the kids and it kept them busy for hours. One activity was a test on being a traveler and Yoni insisted on finishing the test as the other kids did not even get to the first question. Once everyone saw his prize for finishing it, everyone had to finish the test. The kids dressed up for pictures and made candles. It was fun!

Next it was off to the Multnomah falls. It took a lot of restraint to keep the kids out of the falls. They went into the water but really wanted to swim. I think the threat of not getting a slurpee and the cold tempeture of the water stopped them. We climbed up to get in back if the falls and that was scary with Ephy running on the mountain with no fear in the world. I consider it a miracle that we don't spend the whole time just looking for him as he is always running away.
From there it was off to Slurpee and a water super soaker fight. I am now trying to get them to shower and to bed before 10pm. Good luck to me.

3 comments:

  1. Yoni -- good for you that you knew about the Oregon trail!!!

    And to all you parents reading this -- NEVER underestimate the power of a slurpee! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc, I love the updates. We will all daven that you return home with all your kids including Ephy. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep the updates coming.
    Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete